Did you know that 300,000,000 photos are uploaded to Facebook every day? Pretty crazy.
These are not just stunning in the way they are taken, but in what they capture. I feel all of this have strong visual appeal. Rather then flicking through I highly recommend you stop and look at each one, they are something special, I have also included a description with each. Let’s get stuck in.
The Northern Lights are a spectacular phenomenon, as this great photos shows. The colours really are special.
Autumn leaves reflecting off the rippling water. Really rich reds, oranges and yellows, complete with a couple of green hints from the evergreen trees, beautiful.
A close up of the face of a hawk. On closer inspection it was his tongue that struck me, which I missed at first glance.
There are so many cute animal photos to choose from, in the end having scoured hundreds I kept coming back to this one, I just think it beautifully captures the sweetness of a Labrador puppy.
There are many similar pics of locations like this, but the colored rope hanging down from the end of each boat caught my attention and the whole scene gives me a strong urge to be there.
This is really something else. The tiny pieces of purple glitter sitting in the single water droplet is just amazing. You can also click to enlarge this file to see it closer up.
I wanted to include an image of an airplane in this page, but wasn’t sure what type or how it would look. Then I saw this and instantly loved it. If you are wondering it is a Canadian plane and is called an Avro Arrow.
Whether you love golf or hate golf there are some fantastic courses on our planet. Mixing spectacular scenery with sport, to me that is a healthy blend. Choosing this one was another tough choice, especially with TPC Sawgrass and Augusta constantly cropping up. But in the end I went for this one, which is actually in Japan at a course called ‘Daihakone Country Club’. Click to enlarge it and then zoom in to fully appreciate the magic.
This picture captured my eye. It looks a bit like a model and a first I was unsure exactly what I was looking at. But it is actually in Greece, on an island called Santorini, the small town is named Oia. Really cool image this one, everything looks so crisp and clean too.
I thought I would end this section with one that was out of this world, literally. A space photo was a must for this list, and here is one from NASA which shows Flight engineer Chris Cassidy working away. Truly awesome space shot, a celebration perhaps of just how much humans have achieved.
All of the above files have the attribution license so if you are a blogger yourself you can also use them in your articles provided you put a credit in the caption like I have.
Quotes About Photography
Here is a collection of really cool quotes from a variety of famous people in the industry.
What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce. ― Karl Lagerfeld
A photograph is usually looked at, but seldom looked into. – Ansel Adams
Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still. – Dorothea Lange
Your first ten thousand photographs are your worst. – Henri Cartier-Bresson
You can look at a picture for a week and never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life. – Joan Miro
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are. – Ernst Haas
Photography can never grow up if it imitates some other medium. It has to walk alone; it has to be itself. – Berenice Abbott
A photograph can be an instant of life captured for eternity that will never cease looking back at you. – Brigitte Bardot
A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know. – Peter Gasser
Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure. – Tony Benn
Funny Jokes About Photography
Here are some gags for you self-confessed photography geeks. Probably not suitable for local pub banter though, other people may not get them.
- Photography is developing as a hobby.
- When cheese has it’s picture taken what does it say?
- The quickest way to make a lot of money from photography is to sell your camera.
- If you saw a drowning person and you were to choose between saving the or capturing that moment, what aperture would you use?
- What’s wrong with most cameras that won’t take good pictures? The nut behind the viewfinder!
- Why did the chicken cross the road? To avoid the paparazzi.
- I read fifty shades of grey to learn more about white balance.
- Why date a photographer? They make things develop, know how to focus and work well in the dark.
- Shoot the kids. Hang the family. Frame the wife.
Statistics About Photos
Here are statistics we have been politely told. Please remember that because social media continues to grow and the world is constantly changes these statistics may have got even bigger!
- 300,000,000 photos are uploaded to facebook every day.
- Every day 55 million are uploaded to Instagram.
- 80% of photos on Instagram are filtered.
- Flickr has over 6,000,000,000 photos, and that was reached back in 2011.
- 9% of moms take pictures of their kids every day.
- The first ever consumer camera was by Kodak and was called the ‘Brownie’. It was introduced in the year 1900.
- It is claimed that humans have now taken 3.5 trillion photos in total.
- In 2012 the median pay of a professional photographer was $28,490 per year
- The word ‘photography’ is derived actually from the Greek φῶς (phos), which means “light”, and also γραφή (graphê), which means “drawing, writing”, put them together and the meaning is “drawing with light”.
Last but not least. Probably the coolest of the them all. The oldest photo of a person dates to 1838. It is called ‘Boulevard du Temple’ and if you look at the street you can see a man having his shoes shined. And here is the oldest ever photo of a human being: